Running Scared: Observations of a Former Republican
[Home] [Former Republican] [About the Authors] [RSS Feed] [Pointless Vanity]

"Losing my faith in humanity ... one neocon at a time."

Monday, October 18, 2004

Compare and Contrast

posted by Jazz at 10/18/2004 08:50:00 AM

NOTE: YOU ARE VIEWING AN ARCHIVED POST AT RUNNING SCARED'S OLD BLOG. PLEASE VISIT THE NEW BLOG HERE.

We could have a medical emergency on our hands. A nurse should be sent immediately to George Will's office and determine whether he's been bitten by one of those West Nile mosquitos, been overcome with a fever from the flu (since he couldn't get a vaccination) or possibly eaten a burger a' la' mad cow disease. After reading his column today, I'm concerned that something must be wrong.

Will is one of my favorite columnists from the right wing and on my regular reading list. Today, however, (and trust me, I couldn't make this up if I tried) he penned a column comparing George W. Bush to Woodrow Wilson. Excuse me? I could see comparing Dubya to U.S. Grant (as president, not general) or Gerald Ford, or possibly even Taft... but Wilson? Bush 41 had some Wilsonian traits in him, I'll grant you, but as I've discussed before, the fruit fell pretty far from the tree on this one. Bush 43 and Wilson both have a "W" in their names, but beyond that point any comparisons seem to come to a screeching halt.

I understand that George Will is a right wing partisan and feels a need to spread some ink around supporting his candidate as the election draws near, but this is a bit beyond the pale. Unfortunately, I can see what's coming next. It's only a matter of days before somebody compares W. to Eisenhower. Then I really will need Kerry's new health plan, having vomited up most of my major organs.