Running Scared: Observations of a Former Republican
[Home] [Former Republican] [About the Authors] [RSS Feed] [Pointless Vanity]

"Losing my faith in humanity ... one neocon at a time."

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Holy Mother of Hannah

posted by Jazz at 10/26/2004 05:56:00 PM

NOTE: YOU ARE VIEWING AN ARCHIVED POST AT RUNNING SCARED'S OLD BLOG. PLEASE VISIT THE NEW BLOG HERE.

I just finished watching a music video by Eminem, of which much has been written today. It's called "Eminem's Mosh" and you can see it, should you wish, here. Of course, you probably won't need to view it online if you don't want to, because as soon as I got up, wiped the sweat from my brow, and walked into the living room and turned on MTV, I saw it playing there. It is a rap video by the artist Eminem which states his views about why people should vote for John Kerry. I had to download a new plug-in for my media player for i-Tunes, but it only took a minute or so and was worth it because I understand a lot of media is coming in this format now.

I will preface this commentary by telling you that I am, by the accounts of most of the youngest generation I'm sure, a stodgy old man. I don't listen to rap music or hip-hop. It's not that I have some sort of bias against it. (What am I saying? People I know read this blog. Ok, I do have a bias against it. I'm an old white guy and I listen to Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC and Led Zepplin. Get over it. I don't do rap music.)

In any event, I watched the video twice. This is one extremely angry young man, and he's angry at Bush. The music was haunting. The video was disturbing. The message was piercing in the same way that Bob Dylan used to get young people righteously pissed off back in the sixties. It borders on frightening, but I can see how this is the sort of message that might get some of the extra young voters off of their butts on November 2, 2004 and into the polling places.

I have to wonder, however, if anyone on the Bush team will have the unmitigated audacity to wander up to the President today, tell him to put down his copy of "My Pet Goat" and say, "Mr. President. You're under attack, sir."