Running Scared: Observations of a Former Republican
[Home] [Former Republican] [About the Authors] [RSS Feed] [Pointless Vanity]

"Losing my faith in humanity ... one neocon at a time."

Saturday, October 16, 2004

Stewart on Crossfire

posted by Jazz at 10/16/2004 09:16:00 AM

NOTE: YOU ARE VIEWING AN ARCHIVED POST AT RUNNING SCARED'S OLD BLOG. PLEASE VISIT THE NEW BLOG HERE.

I was preparing to write a long piece on one of the most amazing moments in television to come out of this election season. However, I'm glad I looked at Dean's World first, because Joe Gandelman already did it for me, hitting all the points I wanted to. It was so well done that, for the most part, I'll just leave you to click over there and read it. The basic premise, however, is the shocking appearance by Jon Stewart, host of The Daily Show, on CNN's Crossfire. (Transcript here.)

Ostensibly, he was there to hawk his new book, "America (the book)" but they never got around to discussing that. While the hosts expected Stewart to be his normal, funny self, he set them back on their heels as he attacked them for being too soft on political guests. He accused the Crossfire hosts of performing theatre at a time when the public really needs them to hold their guests feet to the fire and get answers out of them.

In one of the lamest attempts at self defense ever seen, the hosts actually accused Stewart, in return, of being too soft on John Kerry when he appeared on The Daily Show. Stewart hosts a comedy show which he regularly describes as "fake news" and to hear CNN journalists saying he was just as bad was simply surreal.

Enough from me. As I said, everything I wanted to talk about is described at length on Dean's World. It's long but well worth the time. Give it a read.