Running Scared: Observations of a Former Republican
[Home] [Former Republican] [About the Authors] [RSS Feed] [Pointless Vanity]

"Losing my faith in humanity ... one neocon at a time."

Saturday, October 16, 2004

Taking Sides and Drawing Lines

posted by Jazz at 10/16/2004 07:13:00 AM

NOTE: YOU ARE VIEWING AN ARCHIVED POST AT RUNNING SCARED'S OLD BLOG. PLEASE VISIT THE NEW BLOG HERE.

It comes as no surprise, but The Moderate Republican has declared his choice in the election and he'll be voting for Kerry. In this post he gives a long and extremely detailed list of reasons, not only for his dissatisfaction with Bush and the current direction of the Republican party, but also the things he dislikes about Kerry and exactly what it was that tipped the balance in Kerry's favor.

"This is less about voting for Kerry than it is sending a message to the theocons: I will not support your bigoted and wrong-headed ideas. I believe in the traditional Republican principles of limited government, federalism and equality. This president has broken all three. If the far right can sit out an election to force a candidate they don't like out, moderates can choose not to vote for someone who doesn't reflect Republican values.

I will continue to work for change in the GOP. I will work through Log Cabin to get gay-friendly leaders elected to public office. I will go to GOP caucuses and district convention and be a voice for moderation and tolerance. I will work to take the party back from the extremists that now run it. It is my hope that come 2008 I can vote for Republican that reflects true conservative values (I'm looking at you John McCain and Chuck Hagel)."


The post is considerably longer and well worth the read. I was so impressed with it that I felt compelled to compose the following response to him.

Extremely well put, sir. While I'm sure we come at our reasons for wanting some fundamental changes in the platform from different angles, the end goal is the same. The party has veered dangerously away from the sensible conservative values of the past - fiscal responsibility, respect for individual rights and privacy, shrinking the federal bureaucracy, separation of church and state - towards a hawkish new neoconservative or theoconservative set of values. Our talk of having a "big tent" is nothing more than platitudes, mouthed to try to sway moderate voters, with no substance behind it. I don't care for John Kerry at all, but he'll be getting my vote as well.

How government handles the people's money in the treasury is surely important, but the most precious capital we have is the lives of our citizens, particularly those in our military. Bush has spent that vital resource foolishly and this must not be allowed to continue.

While I have great respect for McCain, there are other moderate Republicans who would also serve us well. As it says on a t-shirt my sister is fond of wearing, "sometimes the best man for the job is a woman." Sen. Snowe from Maine might just be our next best bet to run for President in 08. It's time we open up a true "big tent" and show that it is more than just words.