Running Scared: Observations of a Former Republican
[Home] [Former Republican] [About the Authors] [RSS Feed] [Pointless Vanity]

"Losing my faith in humanity ... one neocon at a time."

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Drunk With Something

posted by Jazz at 11/06/2004 11:46:00 AM

NOTE: YOU ARE VIEWING AN ARCHIVED POST AT RUNNING SCARED'S OLD BLOG. PLEASE VISIT THE NEW BLOG HERE.

The latest edition of "America's Worst Mother" is definitely worth reading. It finds the mother of Tbogg's wonderful children struggling to recover from the depression of Bush's victory... and a pitcher of Manhattens. A taste:

Outside a sudden gust of cold wind whips at the few golden leaves still clinging to a maple tree on the street. Inside, inert and exhausted, I scarcely dare answer.

Molly climbs in next to me and snuggles under the blankets. From upstairs come the smothered sounds of singing and reproach as the other children get dressed; from downstairs rises the smell of coffee. My legs feel like Jimmy Hoffa's must have, at the end.

"Don't worry, Mummy," Molly says comfortably, tucking the sheets under my chin. Abruptly she switches topics and her manner becomes guarded. "Doesn't Paris have to wear white socks?"

"I don't know that it matters," I reply, climbing past her out of bed on to feet that feel like cartoon anvils. In passing, I wonder what campaign Molly has launched about socks and why she wants me to commit preemptively to an opinion of what color her brother's should be, but mostly I am wondering what is wrong with me. Have I ever been this tired before?