Running Scared: Observations of a Former Republican
[Home] [Former Republican] [About the Authors] [RSS Feed] [Pointless Vanity]

"Losing my faith in humanity ... one neocon at a time."

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Update to the Robert Loria Story

posted by Jazz at 12/22/2004 10:54:00 AM

NOTE: YOU ARE VIEWING AN ARCHIVED POST AT RUNNING SCARED'S OLD BLOG. PLEASE VISIT THE NEW BLOG HERE.

I added this in to the previous post, but I wanted to make sure the information got out there. A fund to benefit Mr. Loria and his family has been established. Should you wish to help, you can contact them or donate here:

Benefit Fund for Robert Loria
Bank of New York
440 Route 211 East
Middletown, NY 10940

Thanks again to Jill for finding that information and passing it along.

On the one hand, it's really good to see people coming together to help out someone in such circumstances. However, I can not quite suppress a feeling of anger that they would need to. We're sending these guys over to Iraq to fight - in many cases to die - and some of them are coming back with horrible injuries which will leave them disabled for the rest of their lives. When something like this happens, it would seem to the reasonable mind that you wouldn't need two senators, a member of the House, and a scolding from the media to avoid confiscating all of the guy's discharge pay, sending him a bill for thousands of dollars, and leaving him stranded in Texas without a ride home.

I can sympathize with is comments. "After everything I have done, it's almost like I am being abandoned, like, you did your job for us and now you are no use. That's how it feels."

I think I'd be a lot more bitter than that, personally.