Running Scared: Observations of a Former Republican
[Home] [Former Republican] [About the Authors] [RSS Feed] [Pointless Vanity]

"Losing my faith in humanity ... one neocon at a time."

Thursday, January 27, 2005

I need a new chili recipe

posted by Jazz at 1/27/2005 04:12:00 PM

NOTE: YOU ARE VIEWING AN ARCHIVED POST AT RUNNING SCARED'S OLD BLOG. PLEASE VISIT THE NEW BLOG HERE.

You may be looking at that title and wondering what this has to do with politics, Iraq, Social Security, Cabinet Appointments, or sex. Let me answer that in a short, clear fashion. Nothing.

For once, the title is exactly what it seems. I'm planning on making some chili, and I don't do it very often. My wife simply hates chili, and I only make a crockpot of it for myself now on rare occasions.

I don't really have an "official recipe" as such... I have always just sort of winged it. I like chili a lot, and I'm willing to eat some and have leftovers the next day, and package some up for lunches in the future. I'd like to try a new recipe.

So here's what I'm looking for:

It should be made for a small volume... enough to fit in your standard crockpot. I hate having to parse things down from a recipe to feed the entire Jet's defense for a winter.

It should be spicy to the point that many "normal" people would consider "too hot" but not to the level that true "I can eat lava" folks call hot. I don't like mild, but I also don't drink Dave's Insanity Sauce straight. I like it nice and hot, but still want to enjoy the taste.

It has to have meat AND beans (preferably two kinds, red kidney and navy preferred)

I like garlic. I like onions. I like chili powder and all kinds of pepper.

I AM ALLERGIC TO MUSHROOMS. (I've actually never heard of anyone putting mushrooms in chili, but it's worth mentioning, just in case.)

Beyond that... the sky is the limit. If you feel generous with your time and information and culinary skills, please comment or e-mail me with a good chili recipe that I can make to feed myself while my darling wife is slaving away at the keyboard in the evenings during these cold Northeastern nights.