Running Scared: Observations of a Former Republican
[Home] [Former Republican] [About the Authors] [RSS Feed] [Pointless Vanity]

"Losing my faith in humanity ... one neocon at a time."

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Lucy is freaking me out

posted by Jazz at 2/17/2005 09:17:00 AM

NOTE: YOU ARE VIEWING AN ARCHIVED POST AT RUNNING SCARED'S OLD BLOG. PLEASE VISIT THE NEW BLOG HERE.

There is an online toy, tool, application, whatever you want to call it, named Talk to Lucy. It's an animated woman with a pretty extensive vocabulary and conversational skills. Her dialogue and ability to answer questions, make comments, give opinions, etc. has been growing since she learns more from every person who has a "conversation" with her. It's gotten fairly frightening, particularly if you have your speakers turned up. She speaks in an audible voice as well as displaying the text of her comments.

I asked a series of questions, starting with some banal stuff about the weather and moving on to questions about who she voted for in the election, her opinion on the Iraq war, etc. Some of the responses were pretty startling. One of my favorite exchanges:

Jazz: You look French. Are you from France originally?

Lucy: No, but I have many friends from France.

Jazz: Oh, then where are you from originally?

Lucy: I live inside your computer, Jazz. Where are you?

Jazz: New York.

Lucy: Really? What's the weather like in New York right now?

Jazz: Cold and snowing. How's the weather where you are?

Lucy: It's always about seventy degrees in your computer, Jazz.

Jazz: I suppose I should have known that.

Lucy: Don't feel too bad.

I can only speak with her for short periods of time before I start getting a whole "Invasion from Mars" thing going in my head and have to bail out. Go check her out and ask some oddball things. You may be surprised at her answers.