Running Scared: Observations of a Former Republican
[Home] [Former Republican] [About the Authors] [RSS Feed] [Pointless Vanity]

"Losing my faith in humanity ... one neocon at a time."

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Whassup, Dawg?

posted by Jazz at 2/09/2005 01:02:00 PM

NOTE: YOU ARE VIEWING AN ARCHIVED POST AT RUNNING SCARED'S OLD BLOG. PLEASE VISIT THE NEW BLOG HERE.

Yes... I even annoyed myself by typing that title. Sorry about that. This post, however, has nothing to do with common urban euphemisms. But it does have to do with dogs. There is an article in Newsweek (which I'm unable to find online thus far... sorry) about next week's Westminster Dog Show. The title of the article is what initially caught my attention.

'Ugliest' dog to join Westminster show on Monday
The Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show doesn't offer a ribbon for Ugliest in Show. Not that there would be much competition this year anyway.

Sort of a cross between a gargoyle and a brontosaurus, with a little sphinx thrown in for good measure, the Neapolitan mastiff is the most prehistoric looking branch of the Lassie family tree. And it will lumber around the ring at Madison Square Garden for the first time Monday at Westminster's 129th annual dog show.
After being prodded for far too long by my wife, I have finally started attending the odd dog show in our area here and there, and I am forced to admit that they are a lot of fun. They are much more humanely handled than I had previously been led to believe, and you get to see dogs of many interesting breeds that you generally don't run into at your friends' homes.

The money quote for this article, however, was from the owner of one of these beasts. This is a person with rather eclectic taste in animals, I think.
"I like things that look like they were hit by a car," said Jim Deppen of Freehold, N.J. whose 3-year old Champion Ironstone's Sirius Black is one of three Neapolitan mastiffs entered.
It may just be me, but I think the phrase "hit by a car" should never be used in describing your dog. I did some digging and found a picture of one of these dogs. The author's description really wasn't far off the mark.




Talk about a face only a mother could love. Hell's bells... even a mother would probably run away screaming from this guy.